What do you do first thing in the morning? Roll out of bed, hop in the shower and make some coffee? Me too! But I’ve added one more thing to my morning routine: lemon honey “tea.” Admittedly, it doesn’t have tea leaves, but it does have some awesome health impacts. Since I’ve started this tradition:
1. I just haven’t gotten sick.
About two months ago I had a couple days of feeling cruddy, but it never ended up being a full-blown cold. After a few days, it went away. That’s been the most amazing part! Both the lemon and honey
2. I’m so much more of a morning person.
This routine has left me spunkier in the morning than ever before. It likely has to do with the fact that both lemon and honey are really good for me and my body is just healthier from this routine.
3. I’m not quite so dehydrated.
When you drink water in the morning, it sort of sets off something in your brain that says “Hey, that was great. Drink more water!” So not only is this mix hydrating first thing, it makes you want to stay hydrated.
4. My stomach is less upset.
For this one, I’m not completely sure why. I usually have a lot of upset stomach issues, especially in the morning. It could have something to do with blood sugar levels but I’m not completely sure. If you suffer a stomach ache, you can steep a little bit of raw ginger in with it.
So what do you do to make this mixture?
- First, heat a mug’s worth of water in a kettle on the stove. Don’t use hot tap water. Your water heater gets buildup over time and is not suitable to drink.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the mug.
- Squeeze half an organic lemon and add the juice to the mug.
- When hot, pour the water over the honey and lemon. Stir well. If you like, you can brew tea in it as well. You get the same effect.