Tea has been a popular drink for centuries! Not only is tea delicious, certain teas have medicinal properties. Green tea contains powerful antioxidants that have disease fighting properties. Black tea can reduce the risks of heart disease and stroke. Oolong tea has been shown to help regulate blood sugar and promote weight loss. And, there are many herbal teas that, depending on the ingredients, can help you sleep, reduce cold symptoms, reduce chest congestion, relieve anxiety, and give you a boost of energy, to name just a few.
Unfortunately, many of the companies that make this delicious, healthy beverage are making it unhealthy by using teas that are loaded with pesticides! Some of the biggest offenders are:
- Lipton (Green tea and the Yellow label black tea)
- King Cole
- No Name
- Red Rose
- Uncle Lee's Legends of China (green tea and also jasmine green tea)
Independent lab testing found that the samples they tested had high amounts of pesticides in them, with 8 out of 10 of the samples had more than one type of pesticide. One brand had more than 22 different types of pesticides! Some of the tea tested contained monocrotophos and endosulfan, chemicals that are banned in many countries! Most of the teas listed above contained more than the allowable amounts of pesticide.
Of the above list, the absolute worst are:
- King Cole – incredibly high pesticides levels, including monocrotophos.
- Green Tea of Uncle Lee's Legends of China – a study proved that this has more than 20 types of pesticides, including endosulfan
- No Name – contains more than 10 types pesticides
To ensure that you are drinking tea with absolutely no chemicals or GMOs, only choose certified organic bagged and loose teas. Some good brands are:
- Eden Organic
- Organic Stash
- Organic Tazo
- Organic Traditional Medicinals
- Organic Yogi